How to Create a Strong Content Marketing Strategy
In today’s digital landscape, small businesses have an unprecedented opportunity to compete with larger players in the game by developing a strategic content marketing strategy. Trust us when we say adding this simple step into your marketing plan will have a HUGE impact.
With a strong content marketing strategy, your small business will more easily connect, engage, and build a strong, authentic, and fruitful relationship with your target audience.
As a Denver marketing company, we know a thing or two about designing marketing strategies that work. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through some essential things to consider when creating a robust, tailor-made marketing strategy for your small business.
Know Your Audience Inside and Out
Any successful marketing strategy starts with a deep understanding of your target audience. While it isn’t the most exciting step to take, its importance can’t be overstated. It’s one of the many ingredients that goes into ensuring that your content resonates with your audience, so they’ll actually interact with it!
Here’s a general breakdown of things you should do so you can get a good feel for who your target audience is:
- Pinpoint Your Ideal Customer Persona: Before you start researching your target audience, you need to create a customer persona. This should be a detailed description of your potential customer, including their demographics, interests, pain points, and buying behaviors. Consider factors such as age, gender, income, education, location, and other relevant characteristics. This persona will serve as a guide throughout the research process and will help you focus your efforts.
- Use Social Media Analytics to Your Advantage: Social media platforms like X (formerly known as Twitter), Facebook, and Instagram provide business owners with valuable insights into their audience. Use a social media analytics tool like Hootsuite or Sprout Social to make your life a little easier during this step—they can really help you gather all the current data about your followers’ demographics, interests, and engagement.
- Don’t Forget About Google Analytics: Google Analytics is a super powerful tool that we, a Denver marketing company, use daily; it will help you gather data about your website visitors. You can use this tool to track user behavior, such as which pages are most viewed and which search terms are most popular. This data can help you understand how your audience is engaging with your website and which topics interest them. You can also use Google Analytics to help you analyze the demographics of your website visitors, including their age, gender, and location.
Set Clear Objectives for your marketing strategy
Starting things off on the right foot means knowing where you want to go. Think of it like planning a road trip – you’ve got to decide on your destination before hitting the road (well, you don’t have to, but it really, really helps with stress-reduction that way)!
Here are some common goals to consider for your content marketing strategy:
- Increase brand awareness: If you’re a new business, your focus might be on introducing your brand to a wider audience.
- Generate new leads: You want to capture potential customers’ information through content and convert them into leads.
- Drive sales: Your content can guide potential customers through the sales funnel, convincing them to make a purchase.
- Establish thought-leadership: Demonstrating your expertise in your industry is a great way to foster trust and authority.
- Boost website traffic: Your content will be geared towards attracting organic traffic to your website, leading to more potential customers.
Conduct Keyword Research
Keywords are like treasure maps leading search engines to your content. Use keyword research tools, like Semrush, to identify relevant keywords and phrases your audience is searching for. Integrating these keywords naturally into your content will do wonders to improve your search engine optimization and get your content in front of more eyes.
Craft High-Quality Content that aligns with your marketing strategy
Quality always trumps quantity–especially when it comes to content.
Let’s say you’re at a buffet with dozens of subpar dishes to choose from. Now, envision that same buffet with only a handful of dishes, but each one is a gourmet masterpiece. Which scenario would leave a more lasting impression?
The latter, hands down!
Similarly, when you’re putting together your content, remember that creating a few high-quality posts will likely have a far greater impact with your audience than churning out a multitude of so-so articles, videos, or posts.
Ensure Your Brand Voice Shines Through Your Content
Typically, you’ll nail down your brand voice when you’re crafting your brand guide, but it’s important to touch upon when you’re developing your content marketing strategy. Why? Well, it’s one of the best ways to build brand recognition and trust. In other words, when people come across your content, it’ll be very YOU (as it should be).
For example–let’s say you’re a traditional financial institution, and your business is all about delivering the lowest rates, top-notch service, and seamless online banking to your clients. Your brand voice will probably be on the more straightforward, matter of fact, and concise side. So, whether it’s captions on social media posts, developing scripts for TikToks, or drafting up a blog post, your trustworthy financial institution’s unique brand voice should be there from start to finish. That way, when interacting with your content, current clients immediately feel a sense of trust and loyalty while potential clients can be drawn in!
Adapt your marketing strategy over time
No effective content marketing strategy is set in stone. After all, the marketing world is one that is almost never stagnant. Make sure to regularly review and evaluate your content marketing strategy with your team so you can gauge what’s working and what’s not. That way, you’ll have a sense of how you should adjust.
Don’t forget to consider new marketing trends when you review your content! Relevant, modern content is (typically) successful content.
Trust a Denver Marketing Company with Over a Decade of Experience
Crafting a strong content marketing strategy is no small feat. There are so many different things to consider to make it great, and oftentimes, there will be a ton of adjusting you’ll have to do. Especially if you’re starting from scratch and you don’t have much experience in designing an effective small business marketing strategy.
At Red Egg Marketing, we pride ourselves on avoiding cookie-cutter marketing solutions for our clients. Whether you need a hand with your content marketing strategy, logo design, website design, or Google Ad campaigns, we’ll make sure that everything is tailor-made to enhance your brand and help you reach your unique goals. If you’d like a second set of eyes on your marketing plan, our flock would be more than happy to help. Leave us a message or give us a call at 720.782.1284 and one of the Eggs will reach out to you shortly.